ABOUT THE FOUNDATION
The Bill Reid Foundation was established as a registered charity in 1999. Its mission is to preserve the art and perpetuate the legacies of Bill Reid.
The Foundation seeks to deepen appreciation of Northwest Coast Aboriginal art and work in partnership with the Haida, host Coast Salish Nations, and Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal cultural and educational institutions.
The Bill Reid Foundation has pursued a number of initiatives to carry out its mission:
- Opened the Bill Reid Gallery of Northwest Coast Art in May 2008
- Co-presented The Spirit of Haida Gwaii Concert February 1 and 2, 2008
- Co-presented Totems to Turquoise at the Vancouver Museum in 2006/2007
- Co-presented Objects of Bright Pride Auction with Simon Fraser University in 2005
- Co-presented First Impressions Auction with Emily Carr Institute of Art + Design in 2004
- The Bill & Martine Reid Collection was donated to the Bill Reid Foundation on November 1, 2002 by Martine Reid. This gift was also made possible by support from the Government of Canada (Canadian Heritage and Western Economic Development) and numerous individuals, foundations and corporations.
- Presented the Spirit Concert tribute to Bill Reid at the Chan Centre in 2002
- Supports the Haida Heritage Centre in Haida Gwaii and the Bill Reid Award at the University of Northern British Columbia
© Copyright 2011 Bill Reid Foundation.